Ambassador Applications Due April 1, 2018.
The Western Property Owners Association (WPOA) is offering the opportunity for Garden City High School students to serve as “Student Ambassadors” to the WPOA. The WPOA is an organization based in Garden City, whose purpose is to protect the interests of the residents of the Western Section of Garden City. The Student Ambassador Program is designed to introduce high school juniors and seniors to Garden City’s Village Government through attendance at Village government meetings, participation in WPOA meetings, and the development and coordination of a community service project.
The selected ambassador serves a two year term during his or her high school junior and senior years. Qualifications for candidates include the following:
• Be a resident of Garden City whose parent(s) or guardian(s) are members of a POA;
• Preferred, but not required, resident of the Western section of Garden City;
• Be a high school junior or senior during the 2018-19 school year;
• Be available for Village meetings and WPOA meetings;
• Have an interest in learning about and participating in local government.
High School Student Ambassador responsibilities are as follows:
• Attend WPOA meetings (typically the second Wednesday of the month at 7:30 P.M.);
• Attend one or two other monthly Village government meetings and/or School Board meetings and report back to the WPOA on the impact the issues discussed may have on residents of the Western Section and the Village at large. Dates and agendas for Village government meetings can be found on the Village website at http://www.gardencityny.net/ while the Garden City School District calendar can be found at http://www.gardencity.k12.ny.us/;
• Completion of the Ambassador’s agreed service project;
• Delivery of a report to the WPOA at the end of the Ambassador’s two year term outlining his/her accomplishments during the term and thoughts on ways to further improve the program.
Interested students may download the application and mail the application or complete the form below.
Our mailing address is: WPOA, P.O. Box 7976, Garden City, NY 11530. Garden City High School students may also submit their applications to Jeanette Ballantic, the Social Studies curriculum coordinator of Garden City Public Schools. Following submission of an application, candidates may be interviewed by representatives of the WPOA before the selection of an Ambassador is made.
Applications may also be emailed to Gerry Kerry at email@example.com
If you need more information please contact Gerry Kelly at 302-547-0800.
We will consider any high school student 2018-19 who has a strong interest. Our process has a deadline of 4/1 but we may start interviewing early because of the need we have for Spring outreach programs.